Thursday, March 1, 2007

What is patience?

I gathered a bunch of books together and put the kids on my bed the other night and asked them to look at books for just five minutes while I practiced my violin. No sooner had I started playing and David asked, "Are you done yet mommy?" I said, "Almost, please keep reading." This same dialogue continued every 20 seconds for the next five minutes until I couldn't take it anymore. Just as I was about to say, "David please be patient I just need one more minute" David said in the sweetest voice, "Mommy, are you almost done? We've been waiting so patiently." It hit me like a ton of bricks-- from his perspective he had been the most patient boy in the world. He could have started throwing a tantrum or being mean to Mary or screaming at me to stop, but he didn't. I really need to step back and remember what patience is to a three year old more often!

1 comment:

Tom Stubben said...

If more parents were able to understand the concept that we all have different perspectives to even the same events, I'm sure we would get along so much better.

Not just children and parents, but even between husband and wife, teacher and student, etc.