Thursday, April 24, 2008

Juice!

Since I was diagnosed last year we have tried to be diligent at eating better, meaning we try to eat A LOT more vegetables. We also try to eat more apples and whole grains. Since we are not big fans of just eating apples we've been juicing them. We got our juicer at Costco and have been very happy with it for the money we paid. I started off juicing apples with lemon, it tastes like lemonade, we all love it. I usually juice first thing in the morning and now try to add a few peppers and broccoli stems to the juice. Adding the vegies doesn't change the taste that much and this way we get vegetables at breakfast, lunch AND dinner! It is a little expensive but worth it for the health benefits. For the four of us I usually juice 6-8 small/medium apples, 1/2 lemon, 8 small peppers and leftover broccoli stems and this produces about four glasses of juice, the kids drink a little less than Steve and I. Anyone interested in juicing should go for it!


8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hmmm...I don't think my family eats nearly as much veggies as we should. I've tried smuggling veggies into cupcakes, but I've never thought of jucing everything. I'm a huge fan of lemonade. Do the apples and lemons really taste like lemonade? Do you add any sugar?

Catie said...

No sugar! Just pure fruit!

Mandy said...

I was checking out the juicer at Costco just the other day. Thanks for the recomendation - we may just get juicing now!

April said...

Wow!! Way to go on eating so healthy. I am amazed that the juice looks so tasty even with brocolli stems in them. That would be amazing if I could get my kids to eat vegetables that way.

Dacia said...

How about if we come visit and try some of the juice!!! [I have been working on photo albums. I just finished 2004 and kept commenting to Kevin how many photos David is in with the kids, just part of the family:) Also I loved the photo of Kevin and Steve making homemade coldstone!!!!]

J-Lo said...

I'm not sure that recipe would agree with my pregnant food pickiness, but I'll try it when I feel a bit more brave:)

jane said...

Catie! That is great--thanks for the recipe! We bought a juicer at the beginning of the year and love it! It is fun to try new recipe--we love to add strawberries to every drink--too fun!

Jana

Jami & Boys said...

What kind of juicer do you have? This is something we've been wanting to start.