One year ago today on October 8, 2007 Steve and I arrived early in the morning at Duke hospital for the resection of my right clavicle and acromion, or in other words to have the tumor that was trying to kill my body taken out. While in the surgical waiting room pacing back and forth waiting to hear my name called over the intercom to report to the surgical preparation area I recognized two people sitting there, Mr. and Mrs. Greene. Mrs. Greene was my assistant high school soccer coach. Their son, DJ Greene, was one year older than me and dated one of my best friends in high school. He was also best friends with one of my best friends. DJ and I were mostly just acquaintances, but with our mutual friends we interacted quite a bit in high school. DJ had Cystic Fibrosis.
Steve and I chatted with his parents for a few minutes, getting and giving the quick updates of why we were both at Duke that day and then hugged and gave best wishes as my name was called. DJ was having a lung transplant. He was having something put into his body so he could live while I was having something taken out of my body so I could live.
Since last year I have thought about DJ often and have been kept up-to-date on him through our mutual good friend. Last week that friend emailed to tell me that DJ passed away almost two weeks ago on Friday, Sept. 26, 2008 at Duke hospital.
As my prayers and thoughts have been turned toward his family in their time of grief I am reminded just how short our time is here on this earth. A day does not go by that I do not thank my Heavenly Father for my life being prolonged so I can spend a little more time with my family here. I know that the Plan of Salvation is real and it brings me great comfort to know we will be with our families beyond this life on earth. DJ will see and be with his family again. I know I will be with my family forever. In the meantime, I am so extremely grateful for each day I get to be with my family in this life.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Catie, I love you! I love that you are so grateful to Heavenly Father for everything you have. My heart aches for your friend's family. Life on this earth can be so tough. Thank you for this post.
Thanks for the perspective. I don't know this family, but I know they can use a lot of prayers.
Thanks for always helping me to keep the right perspective on things. Can't wait until we're neighbors!
Thanks for sharing that! It was beautiful. Hope you are doing well!
Catie! Chris and I are coming down on Thurs. to hopefully find our new home and make an offer. We will stay that night, and leave Friday evening. Wish us well -- there is so much on the market right now, we hope to be able to choose the right one for us! Thanks for all your kind words -- we are getting really excited to finally be North Carolinians.
I always enjoy talking to you and reading your comments - you are incredible - what a wonderful post!
wow - what a tear jerker - I'm glad you wrote it up because you have a neat way of putting things.
wow, what a story.
glad you are doing well, Catie.
Post a Comment